This cheesecake recipe is so easy to make and is super high in protein! Greek yogurt has a similar consistency to cream cheese but it is low to no fat and high in protein which makes it a great cream cheese alternative for the cheesecake recipe. Try replacing cream cheese with greek yogurt and you might not make the cheesecake with cream cheese ever again.
I always wonder if there is any healthy cream cheese alternative for cheesecake, and there is it! Greek yogurt is the food that I always have in the fridge as it is super fulfilling and packed with protein. I have always replaced or added greek yogurt to something that has a thick and creamy texture, such as replacing mayonnaise with greek yogurt for creamy salad dressing. So I thought, why not try to replace cream cheese in the cheesecake recipe? Turns out I might not be making cheesecake with cream cheese for a long long time.
The consistency and texture of the cheesecake that is made from greek yogurt and cream cheese are very similar. The only major difference is that the cheesecake made with cream cheese is much denser than the one made from greek yogurt. Since the yogurt is very high in protein, it creates a lighter cream layer which I found very enjoyable in a large portion.
If you love cheesecake and are looking for a healthier alternative, give this recipe a try and it might be your new favorite dessert!
If you have any questions or comments about the recipe, be sure to speak out on my other social media platforms under the name @onehappyavo.
Hope you like the recipe and enjoy baking!
Greek Yogurt Cheese Cake | Low-fat cheesecake alternativeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
This cheesecake recipe is so easy to make and is super high in protein! Try replacing cream cheese with greek yogurt and you might not make the cheesecake with cream cheese ever again.
1 cup (285g) greek yogurt
1/2 cup icing sugar/ powder sugar
2 medium size egg
1 tablespoon strawberry jam (optional)
- Crumb base
85-105g Digestive biscuits
25g melted butter
A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 175˚C or 347°F. Prepare a 6×2 inches (15 x 5cm) springform cake pan lined with butter and baking paper and set aside.
- Crumbs base layer
- Crush the digestive biscuits in a bowl or use a food processor to crumbs, and add a pinch of salt.
- Add the melted butter to the biscuit and mix until the crumbs are completely coated.
- Transfer the crumbs to the lined cake pan, and press the crumbs down until tightly packed, covering the bottom of the cake pan. Chill the base in the freezer for 10-15 mins.
- Cheesecake layer
- In a clean bowl, mix together the greek yogurt, eggs, and powdered sugar. Whisk or stir until there are no lumps of sugar left.
- Take the cake pan with the crumbs base layer out of the freezer, and immediately pour the yogurt cheesecake mixture over the base layer. Optional stir in the jam or fruits of your choice.
- Bake the cake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the center of the cake rise, but it won’t look dry.
- Let the yogurt cheesecake cool down in the cake pan for 20 minutes before removing it from the pan. Store in the fridge for up to 4 days.