Matcha Dalgona latte, a step up from regular matcha latte. For when you feel a little fancy, this recipe will be a satisfy!
Develop from Dalgona Style whipped coffee, this matcha Dalgona latte takes a twist from just adding sugar and hot water and whipping up the magic. However, this recipe still requires very few ingredients, in fact only 5!
This Matcha Dalgona recipe uses coconut cream to create the frothy matcha part of the latte. It might not be as simple as adding water to the instant powder and sugar, but it doesn’t take that much effort either! Believe me, I have tried many methods including using chickpea juice which to me does not feel so natural. I found using coconut cream gives it amazing texture and taste and I wouldn’t mind a little higher fat content since coconut cream can be really beneficial for your skin.
However, there are some notes to be taken here with the coconut cream. You NEED to refrigerate the cream before using it as the coconut cream in the can has too high of liquid content, and it will not form a creamy texture when you whip. I usually make it easier by refrigerating the coconut cream right away after buying so I don’t have to remind myself or wait when I feel like whipping some up right away.
You can also use coconut milk if you can’t easily find coconut cream. But be sure that the coconut milk that you bought has a high enough amount of fat so that it forms a level of cream on the top. The good amount of fat in coconut milk to be used in this recipe should be around 15-22 grams.
I also like to whip the cream up for the amount of 3-4 days just to save some time and store it in a tight container in the refrigerator. Let me know how you like the recipe!
Matcha Dalgona Recipe
This Matcha Dalgona recipe uses coconut cream to create the frothy matcha part of the latte. It might not be as simple as adding water to the instant powder and sugar, but it doesn’t take that much effort either! Believe me, I have tried many methods including using chickpea juice which to me does not feel so natural.
3 tbsp Coconut cream
1-2 tbsp Icing sugar (optional)
2 tsp Matcha green tea powder
1/2 cup Ice
100 ml Plant-based milk
- Chill your coconut cream or high-fat content coconut milk in the fridge overnight. Do not try to separate the coconut cream from the juice by shaking the can. (See the article for some more tips).
- Take out the refrigerated coconut cream and carefully remove the lid and scrape out only the thickened cream on the top to a large mixing bowl. You can chill the mixing bowl for 10 minutes before using it if you are in a slightly warm environment.
- Beat the hardened coconut cream with a stand mixer for around 30 seconds or until it turns creamy.
- Sift the icing sugar and matcha powder to the bowl of coconut cream. Beat the coconut cream for another 30 seconds to ensure the powers are mixed in.
- In a glass, add milk and ice then top with the matcha cream. Keep the leftover matcha cream in the refrigerator if there is any leftover.
- The whipped matcha cream lasts for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.